Bagels and Wellbeing
31 October 2022 by Emma Coulter
Wellbeing is ‘the state of being happy and healthy’. Wellbeing is not just the absence of disease or illness. It’s a complex combination of a person’s physical, mental, emotional and social health factors.
Promoting and supporting employee’s wellbeing is top on Abacus’ agenda. On Wednesday morning the Abacus team got together to do a Wellbeing workshop.
We started the morning off by having a lovely breakfast made by Jude, Hannah and Jenna. We had a choice of bacon bagels or salmon and cream cheese bagels.
The breakfast was such a success that many have requested this to be a weekly event!
Following our breakfast, we started our Wellbeing Workshop. This was led by Catherine Foy from Team Accountancy.
We discussed what wellbeing is, what can affect our wellbeing, and the stress container. We then broke into three groups to come up with ways to improve our mental wellbeing, physical wellbeing and wellbeing at work.
Below is what the teams came up with:
- Speak to someone
- Reflection (diary)
- Outdoor activities/doing something you enjoy
- Treat yourself
- Be kind to yourself
- Cut out bad influences/habits etc
- Music or Reading
- Knowing your triggers
- Address the issues
Physical health and wellbeing:
- Exercise/go to the gym
- Team Sports
- Eat a healthy balanced diet
- Get your 5 a day
- Take vitamins
- Prioritise sleep – try to get your 8 hours
- Do something you enjoy and take time out
- Reduce alcohol consumption
- Cold showers/plunge pool/sea dipping (yikes!)
- Stretching/yoga – Marc is the expert!
Work Place Ideas
- Keep up with activity months – steps challenges/yoga etc
- Implement coffee walks into our buddy system
- Personal 1-1’s
- Healthier food in the office – fruit, eggs, porridge
- Yearly body screening
Thank you to the Abacus team for participating in our Wellbeing morning. The Wellbeing team will continue to implement wellbeing initiatives, and continue to build on our amazing culture.
I have attached our wellbeing presentation for anyone who would like to learn more about wellbeing.
Share this blog
New committee elected by Northern Ireland in-house lawyers
Seven lawyers have been elected to the committee of the In-House Lawyers’ Group Northern IrelandRead More