LocationBelfast, County Antrim
Date Posted25 August, 2023
Our client is seeking to recruit a Chief Executive Officer, who will play a vital role in generating and driving improvement within Belfast. You will be joining a not-for profit organisation who has a track record of development within the city centre. Belfast is at the heart of what they do.
- To deliver the projects and services set out in the Business Plan in a professional, transparent and cost-effective manner whilst maintaining and further developing a positive climate within which local and national business stakeholders will support and embrace the work of company.
- To work collaboratively and strategically with relevant stakeholders whose work impacts Belfast City Centre to measurably improve the trading environment and appeal of Belfast City Centre.
- To lead and motivate both the staff team and any external consultants/contractors and to ensure runs effectively from an operational and a governance perspective
- To support the Board of Directors in the development of the strategic direction of the company and to ensure good governance and compliance with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements.
- To lead a successful re-election campaign when required in 2026. This will involve engaging with businesses and other stakeholders to develop a comprehensive and deliverable business plan which businesses can endorse.
- With a ‘can do’ attitude, you will possess excellent communication and presentation skills. You will be flexible and adaptable in approach and duties.
- To act as a spokesperson on city centre development manners and to raise the profile of the organisation by maximising opportunities for external engagement and promotion
1) Governance, Strategic Leadership and Company Administration
- Ensure transparent and effective governance of the Board
- Provide strategic leadership and represent the interests of organisation at high level stakeholder meeting
- To oversee the implementation of all policies and procedures approved by the Board and ensure effective delivery of all related functions including finance, legal, employment, procurement, marketing, health & safety and equal opportunities, contract, and project management
- Work with Belfast City Council to maximise the collection of BID levy
- Maximising the profile of the BID by engaging with strategic partners around priority interventions and actively promoting the role of the BID in making Belfast city centre a place where people want to be
2) Business Planning and Financial Planning and Management
- Oversee implementation of the Business Plan within agreed timescales and on budget
- Work to the agreed financial protocols and closely monitor the agreed Annual BID budget
- Develop a new 5-year term 2 BID Business Plan for the re-ballot in early 2026
- To act as a strong ambassador for the BID in interactions with strategic partners
- To ensure the BID team develops strong relationships with BID member businesses
- To create a strong collective voice and develop effective relationships with external partners including Belfast City Council, relevant Executive Departments, Land & Property Services, the Police Service of Northern Ireland, Translink, Belfast City Centre Management, Belfast Chamber, and any other relevant forums
4) Project Delivery and Contract Management
- Continue to effectively deliver projects set out in the BID business plan and as agreed by the BID Board of Directors
- Monitor Baseline service agreement
- Oversee contracts and agreements with suppliers for services provided to the BID
- Proactively engage with partners to develop new interventions, in line with business plan ambitions, to deliver on levy payer ambitions
5) Staff Management
- Lead and inspire the staff team to ensure delivery of the Business Plan, ensuring that all employees always act as ‘Ambassadors’ for the BID
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- A relevant third level qualification or at least 5 years’ experience in a senior management level role.
- Demonstrable experience managing significant budgets to deliver agreed outcomes.
- Demonstrable experience managing and inspiring a staff team.
- Demonstrable experience of working with a wide range of partner organisations and stakeholders to deliver business plan objectives.
- Demonstrable experience of contract procurement, management, and evaluation.
- Ability to engage with media to promote and profile the work of the organisation
- A track record of delivering against stretching targets
- Demonstrable experience of working in ‘place making’ or ‘place management’, e.g. development and management of a town/city centre or large organisation or promote socio-economic activity to help fill empty (retail) spaces with events or commercial opportunities.
– Previous experience working in a Business Improvement District setting
– Strong knowledge of Belfast City Centre and the issues effecting the Belfast
Skills and abilities
- The ability to strategically lead teams, inspiring them to achieve genuine change for the better.
- Excellent leadership, communication, influencing, negotiating, and networking skills, including the ability to build consensus, manage stakeholders and develop partnerships.
- Highly organised with excellent time and project management skills, and with the ability to prioritise a wide range of competing demands.
- Resilient and able to find a way through situations of conflict and apparent impasse.
- Forward thinking and passionate and energetic individual who can bring fresh thinking, innovation, and imagination to the role
- Self-motivated and articulate, with a positive outlook and the ability to work under pressure
- Understanding of the audience from the Company Board, levy payers and stakeholders to the customers.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail and is results driven.
- Excellent IT skills with specific experience of working with databases and MS office applications
Please submit your application or speak to a specialist consultant from the Abacus team on 0044 (0) 28 9031 3157 for a confidential discussion. We aim to respond to all inquiries within 4 business hours.
The team at Abacus manages a range of permanent and contract positions throughout Northern Ireland, the UK and the Republic of Ireland. If you are experienced and/or professionally qualified we can support your job search.
Share this job